Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles



I bought this book without really thinking too hard. I was only in Barnes and Noble for a couple minutes and new I wanted to buy a book. So I saw this and bought it without much thought, other than that I knew it was one I wanted to read.


Title: Perfect Chemistry
Author: Simone Elkeles
Number of Pages: 357
Published by: Walker & Company
Rating: 4/5


Summer: (from goodreads.com) A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers. When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


Review: This book was so hard to put down. When I wasn’t able to read it, I’d be thinking about it. Just one of those books that catch your attention from the very beginning and keep you reading until the very end.

What was truly amazing was how you were able to see and sympathize with two different people living two completely different lives. Which I didn’t think was possible. When I found out that Alex was in a gang, I really didn’t think I would be able to sympathize with him at all. But I was so wrong. Looking into his world and how he sees things was mind boggling. And looking into Brittany’s world had me fascinated, too. I didn’t think I would be able to relate to someone so materialistic, but as you read on, you realize why she is the way she is and are able, in some way or another, to relate to her.

Most people I know who’ve read this book fell for Alex like no other. I’m a little disappointed that it was not the same for me. Though, there’s no denying I wasn’t crushing on him like crazy, but that was it. And I can honestly say that I don’t know why that was. Well, aside from that, Alex was a well developed character. But him alone would not have made the book what it was. It was both Brittany and him that made the book what it was. Their relationship and how they were able to become better people because of it was what made the book great.

I only have one negative comment to make: The Epilogue. It was cheesier than anything I’ve ever read in my life. Okay, that may be over exaggerating, but this was really bad. I can’t say why it was bad because that would spoil the whole book. And I’d rather not do that to anyone who hasn’t read it. But the epilogue has little effect on how much I liked the book. With or without the epilogue, it's still a book that I will read again and again.

I would definitely recommend this to any girls out there that like a good love story. Definitely not a guy book, but anyone could see that by looking at the title. ;)

Fourth book of 2010

7 comments:

Adriana said...

This sounds like a really good book. I'm not really a fan of cheesy lovey endings, but the rest of the book sounds great.

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

Sounds interesting! I do wonder why authors feel compelled to tack cheesy endings on to their books sometimes though.

I have an award for you over at my blog!

IanIan said...

Good love story, huh...Definitely sounds like a book for me :D Thanks for the nice review.

Btw, I gave you a little award here: http://bookwormonawhitecloud.blogspot.com/2010/01/adoration-of-jenna-fox-mary-pearce.html

RaĆ­la said...

Yayayay. I LOVE love stories when they are well-written. And this one seems to be one of these well=written love stories that I'd like to read. Just waiting for the oportunity to get it!

Nina said...

I heard so many positive things about the book, even that it reminds someone of Romeo and Juliet..wow! I need to buy myself a copy so I can read the awesome story for myself. Thanks for the lovley review.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Thanks for the review! I've heard soooo many great things about this one, but for some reason it just doesn't really appeal to me? I looooove the trailer though, have you seen it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0OtYYpyek The catchiest book trailer ever, even my boyfriend is occassionally singing the song after I played it for like a bazillion times, lol!

prashant said...

Sounds interesting!

Work from home India